Dec 9, 2023

Once upon a blue moon

"Moon Gazer" by Annalogue75 © Original 2023 via Creative Fabrica Spark™

Anyone else ever thought they came from outer space and had accidentally been left behind on planet Earth, now waiting to be brought "home" again?
No? No one?
Just me? 😬
Well alrighty then...

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly: what is essential is invisible to the eye.” - The Fox ("The Little Prince")

When I was almost four years old there was a lunar eclipse, and I was allowed to watch it. I still remember what I was thinking about and the painfully sad feeling I had in my stomach.
I can't remember what I did all last week, but I remember my fantasies as a four year old. Go figure... Thanks ADHD.

The lunar eclipse of September 6, 1979. Infographic courtesy of NASA. 

I remember sitting by my little child sized table on my little child sized chair, or perhaps stool. It was placed by my window, and I saw the eclipse from there. My memory says that I was alone, but more likely my mom or dad was right behind me, looking at the moon through the window too.

The feeling in my body at that moment I can't really explain, it was a mix of joy, awe, feeling small, and feeling..., abandoned?!
Yes, I felt very alone, sad, and abandoned, that I remember clearly. I remember looking at the moon - wondering where my real parents were and hoping they could "hear me" and were on their way back to pick me up. I felt so distraught that they forgot me, and that I had to stay "here" (aka my home) when I just really wanted to go (to my real) home because I didn't fit in.

I was not even four years old, and that was on my mind!? I was three years and ten months old, to be more precise.
Imagine, there are people out there thinking I'm a nutcase now. People..., I started being cray cray way before many of you were even BORN! 😆

"Alone" by Annalogue75 © Original 2023 via Creative Fabrica Spark™

Perhaps this is why I really could identify with the boy in "The Little Prince" by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry and later in my teens fell in love with the book "Momo" by Michael Ende. The bigger implications for me personally in feeling so strongly about these two pieces of litterature didn't dawn on me until decades later, meaning until just now. 🫣
I'll have to make that a blog on its own!

What I have understood so far is that these two books are perfect examples of stories that speaks to many different people, but has elements that are of special interest for those of us that are neurodiverse:
- The little Prince is often said to be autistic, and it's an interpretation that makes sense to me.
- Momo and the understimulation and boredom amongst children is right on point with how a neurodiverse person often feels. In my not so humble opinion, of course.

Read them and see if you recognize these interpretations, just for fun.
My interpretation falls back on that I think I knew I was different long before I had the words for it. And I really wish I had known what I know now much sooner. Life would have been so different - and perhaps I could have liked myself with all my flaws.

"But time is life itself, and life resides in the human heart. And the more people saved, the less they had." - Michael Ende ("Momo")


Until next time...

/Annalogue75